Eighth Grade Algebra Program
The eighth grade algebra class is equivalent to Brother Rice High School’s Freshman Honors Algebra I class. This course is designed to convey an understanding of the meaning and use of variables, formulas, equations and inequalities, exponents, functions, and graphs. The significance of word problems and of strategic problem solving is emphasized throughout the course.
Our program aims to provide the necessary knowledge base and skills in order to realize the full advantage of every college level mathematics course offered on the high school level.
- Exposure to high school level curriculum pacing and rigor
- Potential to receive high school credit toward graduation requirements
- Potential to qualify to enroll in advanced courses such as AP Calculus (Calculus I) or AP Calculus BC (Calculus I and Calculus II)
- Tuition for the complete program including the purchase of a graphing calculator and the rental of a physical textbook is $500.
- A non-refundable deposit of $150 is due by April 1, 2020.
- The remaining balance is due at the parent and student orientation meeting in August.
- The class meets 7:00-7:45 a.m. Monday – Friday.
- The program will follow the Brother Rice High School calendar.
- Qualifying exam – Saturday, February 1, 9:00 a.m. or Wednesday, February 19, 6:30 p.m.
- Grammar school teacher recommendation
- Only current seventh grade students are eligible to take the exam.
- Students should bring No. 2 pencils (no calculator).
- Pre-register for the qualifying exam.
“Even with the early wake up time, the 8th Grade Algebra class at Brother Rice was an enjoyable experience. Not only did I bond with kids from different schools around the area, but I felt we thoroughly covered important topics in Algebra I. The material covered class put me ahead of the game when I came in freshman year! I felt a lot more prepared for the rigorous math course I was placed in.” – Daniel Spellman ‘19
For more information please contact Ms. Kay Scaletta at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-429-4300 ext. 270.