Is accountable to the principal, assistant principal and the director of guidance.
Brother Rice is in need of a full time counselor for high school boys. College counseling experience is required.
- Conducts group guidance for freshman.
- Schedules each student at least twice a year.
- Interviews students that have requested an appointment.
- Follows up on students that faculty/staff members have referred.
- Conducts staffing for academic and/or social/emotional problems.
- Consults with the deans of discipline: follow up on misconduct notices and discipline reports.
- Referrals to crisis counselor as necessary.
- Is a member of counselee’s discipline board if one is held.
- Conducts crisis counseling in the event of death or other serious incidents.
- Conducts student support groups when necessary.
- Returns telephone calls to parents, guardians, etc. and conducts conferences with parents when requested or needed.
- Confers with the teacher and other staff members as to the academic/social/disciplinary conduct of his/her counselee.
- Participates in staffing as student returns to Brother Rice High School after hospitalization and follows up with student, parents, hospital, and teachers/staff.
- Maintains highest level of confidentiality concerning counselee, students, and teachers/staff.
- Is aware of the various methods of financing a college education: scholarships, grants, loans, etc. plus the various applications necessary in applying for these vehicles.
- Guides students with both career and college choices/opportunities and college applications.
- Is familiar with and uses Naviance system to help students with college and career choices.
- Writes letters of recommendation for counselee.
- Counsels students when letter of none acceptance is received.
- Is familiar with GAINS and ACT/SAT testing programs.
- Is familiar with AP testing and how it relates to various colleges and universities.
- Does “limited” financial planning with parents.
- Meets with college representatives as time permits.
- Represents Brother Rice High School at various college/university information seminars.
- Participates in college night, college information night, and college financial aid night.
- Visits college campuses as schedule permits.
- Follows up students academic failures with interviews and strategies.
- Conducts grammar school visitations for entering freshmen.
- Maintains liaisons with other interested agencies.
- Participates in professional organizations as schedule allows.
- Keeps the director of guidance informed as to any potentially difficult/dangerous situation, which could have implications for Brother Rice High School.
- Performs other counseling/guidance related activities as may be assigned to the counselor by the director of guidance.
- Maintains college application history via Naviance website for purpose of gathering statistics on Brother Rice students.
Appropriate Illinois licensure and teaching certificates required. Applicant must be willing to support the teachings of the faith environment at BRHS.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Karen Van Assen, Vice Principal, at email@example.com
Advancement Assistant – Department: Institutional Advancement
Brother Rice High School is located in Chicago IL. We are a vibrant, successful Catholic high school providing young men the opportunity to excel in all aspects of their lives, spiritually, academically and athletically.
Primary Responsibility: The Advancement Assistant is responsible for providing support to the President, Director of Development, members of the Advancement team as well as school events.
This position reports directly to the Director of Advancement. Duties include administrative support as needed; project support for advancement staff; learning Raiser’s Edge donor database management; provide support for Institutional Advancement office which may include ordering supplies, managing files, interaction with Director of Marketing, etc.
Minimum Qualifications: 2-4 years of related professional experience, preferably, but not limited to, work in a not for profit environment or sales office environment; bachelor’s degree preferred; strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as excellent telephone and customer service skills.
Proficiency with Microsoft applications, preferred; including Excel and merge applications, as well as experience working with a variety of database systems; Blackbaud’s Raisers Edge or other CRM (Customer Relationship Management system) a plus; attitude, relationship-building skills, a high-level of self-motivation, and a strong, responsible work ethic; ability to work independently and as part of a team, to think ahead and be a problem-solver; proficient in social media is a plus.
Status: part-time (20-29 hours a week)
Work year: Twelve month with same PTO and holidays as other non-teaching employees.
Work hours: standard hours being 8:30 am – 1:30 pm, negotiable. Some flexibility required, including occasional Saturday, and evenings.
Please submit information to:
Mike Zunica, Director of Institutional Advancement, Brother Rice High School, 10001 S. Pulaski, Chicago, IL 60655. Mzunica@brrice.org