Dear Parent(s)/Guardian(s) and Students,
I hope this finds you well, and you are staying safe and looking forward to getting back to some sense of normality. I have a number of announcements today for everyone.
- The Feast Day of Edmund Rice is on Tuesday, May 5. We have several activities planned for that day, including our inaugural Crusader Day of Giving. Live on BRTV, we will have a prayer service starting at 9:00 a.m., Gold Medal winners for the senior class will be announced, we will select the winning tickets for the Gold Key raffle, and if we have 200 donors, I will shave my beard and my head! Watch live on BRTV here.
- All AP Tests will take place at home starting in May. Teachers will provide you with all the details.
- Parents/Guardians: We have created a short survey on our eLearning experience. Please take a couple of minutes to give us some feedback. eLearning is new to all of us, and we want to know what you think we are doing well and what we can do better in preparation for the future. Your input is important to us. eLearning Survey
- The semester will end for our seniors on May 7, and for freshmen, sophomores and juniors on May 15. There will be no final exams this semester.
- Seniors: We have had a lot of talk about prom. I am concerned with the social distancing challenge of having 200 students in attendance. If we feel that it is safe to have prom, it will be in the evening on Friday, July 10, at Brother Rice. As always, we will listen to health care professionals before we make any final decisions.
- As part of our recognition of the senior class, I am planning to offer one last day at school on July 10. Students will be allowed to come to school, visit teachers, have a cookie in the cafe, and spend one final day as a Brother Rice student. I have heard from several students that they would like one more day at Brother Rice and feel this will help bridge their transition.
- Thank you to all the senior students and parents who filled out the graduation survey. There was an overwhelming number of votes to hold graduation in July at Brother Rice on the football field. We have decided to hold graduation on Sunday, July 12, in the early afternoon on the Tom Mitchell Field. We are still working out the details for the day, but I would like you to save the date. If we are not able to safely hold the ceremony in person on July 12, we will have a virtual graduation on that date. Either way, your student will be graduating on July 12.
We are blessed that the faculty and staff of Brother Rice High School was able to pick up the ball and continue to educate our young men. Our teachers continue to provide a quality education and our students continue to perform well academically; we will carry on the mission of Edmund Rice. “Act Manfully in Christ Jesus”
Bob Alberts ’85
Follow me on Twitter @PrincipalBR